Caring in Christ's Name
Tenwek Hospital College of Health Sciences formerly Tenwek School of Nursing has been training qualified nurses since 1987. In 1999 it graduated its first class of Registered Community Health Nurses (KRCHN).
The school has a well-earned reputation as one of the best nursing schools in the country, and its graduates are the principal source of quality nurses for Tenwek.
The mission of Tenwek School of Nursing is to inspire student nurses to become servant leaders by modeling excellence in compassionate nursing while empowering them to go and do likewise.
Tenwek School of Nursing has a 3 ½ year training programme for student nurses. Graduates earn a diploma in nursing, having qualified as midwives, general and community health nurses.
For prospective students:
- All students reside in school hostels during their training. The modern facilities provide a friendly environment for study, as well as relaxation.
- Darts, table tennis, and volleyball are favorite student activities.
- Student nurses are provided opportunities to grow professionally through their classroom and practical training. They have experiences throughout Tenwek Hospital as well as in the community under the supervision of qualified staff.
- Participation in discipleship groups and Christian Union meetings provide opportunities for personal spiritual growth.
- The nursing school building was completed in the year 2000. It provides two spacious classrooms equipped with modern teaching aids.
- Over 4,000 nursing books are available for students' use in the library.
- A large demonstration room is fully furnished with various models and practical equipment, providing students adequate opportunity to practice nursing skills.
- Applications for admission to the nursing programme are accepted year round and are continuously being processed. An application can be requested from the Nursing School office or downloaded here.
- Short-listing takes place annually, and considering both academic ability and spiritual maturity, a group of applicants is chosen to be interviewed
- KCSE Aggregate of C plain or higher
- Mandatory Subjects
- C plain or higher in English or Kiswahili
- C plain or higher in Biology or Biological Science
- C- minus or higher in any of the following: Mathematics, Physical science, Physics, Chemistry
- Applicants must be committed Christians.
- Applicants must be Kenyan citizens
Cost of the Education
KShs. 475,000* for the entire programme includes tuition, boarding, and transportation to your clinical experiences.
* Fees subject to change
P.O. Box 39 - 20400,