Echocardiography is an important aspect of both inpatient and outpatient medical and cardiac services offered at Tenwek. The outpatient echo room is located next to the endoscopy office in the main hospital.
*Please Note- outpatient echo studies must be pre-paid. Please bring your receipt to the echo lab at the time of your study*
Tenwek Hospital offers advanced endoscopy diagnostics. Visit the Endoscopy page for more information
- Blood Bank: Typing, cross-match, blood banking, transfusions.
- Bacteriology: gram stain, india ink stain, KOH, culture (TSI, catalase, coagulase, indole, methyl red, simons citrate, antibiotic sensitivities)
- Parasitology: Stool sample for ovarian cysts, malaria smears, occult blood, urinalysis, semen analysis.
- Chemistry:Ammonia amylase, albumin, ALT, AST, alkaline phosphate, arterial blood gases, bilirubin, CSF analysis, creatinine, creatinine kinase, drug levels (phenobarbital, digoxin), elecrolytes(Magnesium, K+, Na+, calcium, iron) lipid profile, lipase, venous blood gases
- Hematology:CBC (Hemoglobin, RBC/WBC with three part differential, platelets) Reticulocyte count, peripheral blood films, direct and indirect coombs test, antibody titration PT/INR,
- Serology: ELISA- (PSA, TSH, FT3, FT4, HIV), Rapid HIV, Hepatitis B&C, CD4, Craggs test for cryptococcus ag.
Tenwek Hospital offers in-house cytology/pathology, enhancing the speed at which you get your results. Cytology department is located past the surgical wards on the way to Maternity.
Tenwek Hospital has a rapidly growing diagnostic imaging department that serves over 30,000 clients annually. After the installation of a CT scanner in 2011, generously donated by Toshiba, Tenwek has increased its coverage of consulting radiologists to approximately 30 weeks/year, and is expanding its teleradiology capabilities. Currently, the Friends of Tenwek organization and Rotary International are remodeling the radiology facility, installing a new X-ray machine and Ultrasound machines. Efforts are also underway to obtain a machine and build a Radiography/Fluoroscopy suite in 2015.
- CT: Head (with or without contrast), all different body, pyelogram/urogram, aortagram (thoracic, abdominal). No aniography available at this time.
- X-ray:plain film, HSG, IVU, BE, Esophogram, bowel series, Upper GI (barium/gastrograffin) urethrogram, cystogram
- Ultrasound: Abdomen, pelvis, obstetric, thyroid, doppler, scrotum, breast, muscles
- Flouroscopy: Currently for the operating theater use only
Outpatient Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Ordering CT: Please call (+254)728-091-900 extension ???
*Please note: all outpatient imaging performed at Tenwek Hospital must be pre-paid, and operates on a first come-first serve basis. For questions about pricing etc. call (+254)728-091-900 and ask to be directed to the department of interest (ultrasound, CT or x-ray)*